This season, GAA will participate in the Georgia Youth Basketball Association (GYBA). GYBA is a highly competitive middle school/feeder team league for boys and girls with advanced level skills. GYBA features teams from all over the metro Atlanta area including teams from Gwinnett, North Fulton, Forsyth, Hall and Habersham Counties.
The Grayson Travel Basketball Program strives to develop GAA participants with advanced basketball skills to compete against GYBA teams from other clusters. These teams are designed to prepare our participants for more advanced competition in the future. Players and parents interested in participating on GYBA teams should be willing to commit to a more intense practice and game schedule than that of the GAA REC Basketball Program.
Note: Playing time is not guaranteed and is at the coach’s discretion. Athletes desiring a league where they are guaranteed playing time should register for GAA Rec League Basketball.
Who’s Eligible to Participate
The GYBA restricts eligibility for teams based on high school clusters. Therefore, to be eligible to play on a Grayson GYBA team, a player must:
- Currently enrolled in 4th – 8th Grades at Trip Elem, Pharr Elem, Grayson Elem, Starling Elem, Bay Creek MS or Couch MS. Players attending a Private or Home School must provide proof of residency within the Grayson School Cluster.
- Players must meet the same academic eligibility requirements as the Middle School 8th Grade teams.
Age divisions will be based upon grade level during the academic school year. Age divisions 4th Grade, 5th Grade, 6th Grade, 7th Grade & 8th Grades.
NOTE: In the event of low team numbers, some grade levels may be combined.
The cost to participate in the GAA Basketball Travel Program this season will be $450.00.
- Cost Includes: GYBA Team Entry Fees, Gym Rental Fees, Nike Reversible Game Uniform, Nike Shooting Shirt, Nike Hoops Elite Backpack, Practice Uniform, Pre-Season Tournament Entry Fee, and other operating expenses.
- Payment will be split into two (2) increments. $225.00 will be due no later than September 15th and the remaining $225.00 will be due no later than October 15th.
Scholarships are not available for Travel Basketball participants. Families interested in those arrangements must register their athlete for GAA REC League Basketball.
Players DO NOT pay registration fees prior to trying out for GYBA Travel Basketball. Players wanting to attend tryouts MUST pre-register and arrive at tryouts 30 minutes early to check-in with the coach and provide name, contact information (phone numbers), school, and grade. Players may not register at the try-outs.
After teams are selected, a mandatory team meeting will be held where players will take care of the following:
- Register for GYBA and pay $450.00
- Get fitted for Uniform
- Provided Birth Certificate and Current Report Card
There will be tryouts sessions for each grade. Athletes are expected to attend all tryout sessions if possible; however, we will conduct a minimum of two tryout dates for players with conflicts. Tryouts dates will be posted on the GAA website. Athletes must be pre-registered prior to tryouts. Arrive early to check-in, obtain a name tag, and be ready to begin at the time shown below for their grade on each tryout date.
GYBA players and families MUST be committed!!! GYBA teams practice twice per week (Sunday’s and Wednesday’s until mid-November then transition to Monday’s and Wednesday’s thereafter).
GYBA teams will play a 14-game regular season with all games played at Suwanee Sports Academy. Teams will play two (2) games per weekend.